Mexico celebrates today Friday, Oct. 14, one of its star food products, as the egg is known, Cesar Quesada Macias, President of UNA, indicated.
Today more than 150 Countries celebrate the International Egg Day and Mexico is part of the celebration since it remains as the number one consumer of eggs in the world, he added.
By the closing of 2016, it is estimated that the per capita consumption of eggs in Mexico will have reached 23 kg (50.7 lbs), which shows the importance of this product in the Mexican diet.
The entrepreneur said that over the years, by means of the new research, we can verify that myths created around eggs are unfounded, and they have been debunked over time. In fact, today it can be said that eggs are a wholesome product contributing therefore with health for the entire Mexican population.
• Mexico is the number one consumer of eggs in the World
• In the World, Mexico ranks number six in production of eggs
• In Mexico, the flock of layers amounts to 154 million birds
• Jalisco is the number one producer of eggs in Mexico accounting for 55% of the total
• It is followed by: Puebla 15%, Sonora 8%, La Laguna 5%, Yucatan 4%, Sinaloa 3%, Nuevo Leon 3%, Guanajuato 2% and others 5%
• Mexico produces 118 million eggs a day –to have an idea of the importance of the Mexican egg production industry
• It is estimated that eggs production will have had a 3.0% in 2016
• Daily egg production exceeds 328,000 boxes, equivalent to 118 Million eggs per day
• The egg production industry of Mexico generates over 450,000 jobs a year